- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 5 cups sliced carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Thinly sliced green onion
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, broth and ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée mixture in batches in a blender, filling blender no more than half full for each batch.
- Return soup to the pot and add brandy. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Soup may be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Reheat over low heat before proceeding. Stir in cream. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through. Season to taste with salt.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onion.