- 14 to 16 digestive biscuits
- 125g butter, softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 5 drops yellow food colouring
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 120 grams dark chocolate melts (buttons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line a rectangular baking dish that measures approximately 30cm x 22cm with baking paper or tin foil.
- Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs; you will need 1 ¾ cups. Melt the butter, sugar and cocoa powder on top of a double boiler or heavy saucepan. Add egg & stir to cook & thicken.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the crumbed biscuits, walnuts and coconut and press firmly into pan.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and food colouring; mix well.
- Gradually add icing sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and cornflour; stir until cornflour is dissolved. Add to icing mixture; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Spread over bottom layer. Keep chilled in the refrigerator.
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat; cool. When cooled but still runny, spread over middle layer.
Keep chilled in the refrigerator. Use a very sharp knife to cut into squares.