- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Sift flour and salt, add sugar, drop unbeaten egg into the middle of the bowl and stir.
- Slowly add enough milk to make a thick batter. Beat well until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, melt half a teaspoon of butter and drop heaped tablespoons of mixture into the pan.
- When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pikelets and allow to brown on the second side.
- Transfer pikelets onto a plate and cover with a cloth to keep warm while you cook the remainder.