- 300g dried fusilli pasta
- 2 thick slices day-old white bread, crusts removed, coarsely torn
- 60g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 120g (11/2 cups) coarsely grated cheddar
- 1 x 425g can tuna in brine, drained, flaked
- 150g (1 cup) frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions. Drain.
- Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until foaming. Remove from heat. Gradually add the milk and place over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Add 80g (1 cup) of cheddar and stir until melted.
- Add the cheddar mixture, tuna and peas to the pasta and stir until well combined. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 2L ovenproof dish. Combine the breadcrumbs and remaining cheddar in a bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta mixture. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve.